Traffic Signs and Flashing Beacons

Traffic Signs

The City of Hoover maintains thousands of signs around the City. These include regulatory signs, warning signs, street name signs, and others. These signs are generally mounted on green U-Channel Posts, with the exception of a few communities that have chosen to purchase decorative black posts. For those communities, the City will install and maintain the sign structures, but the community must purchase the sign(s).  Note that the city does not purchase, install, or maintain signs and posts in gated communities. For sign maintenance in gated communities, please contact your HOA. 

Information regarding Neighborhood Watch signs should be made to Officer Brian Hale with the Hoover Police Department.

Note: The city no longer installs or maintains Children Playing or other similar signs as these signs have been deleted from the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices adopted for use in the State of Alabama. Furthermore, the City of Hoover does not maintain specialty or decorative signs, except as noted within the city's Riverchase and Inverness annexation agreements.

Submit requests for damaged or missing signs or for new street signs by email to the traffic engineer or you may submit a request through the My Hoover Connect app.     

Flashing Beacons

Many of the school zones in the City have flashing beacons which are programmed to flash only during the morning and afternoon carpool operations. As funding becomes available, the City will add more school zone flashing beacons where conditions justify installation.