Garbage & Recycling Services
The City of Hoover provides to all homes within the city limits the following services free of charge:
- Curb side garbage collection - twice weekly
- Recycling - each Wednesday
- Curb side limbs/brush removal, large bulky items, call to schedule 205-444-7543
- Leaf collection during the fall and spring months (schedule will be posted in the fall)
Curious about your garbage route schedule? Type your address in the search section to see your pick-up days.
Household Garbage collection accepts paper products and household food waste.
Residential Bulk Trash is the collection of yard waste such as grass clippings, twigs, hedge clipping, junk or rubbish. Non-hazardous building materials may also be placed curbside when there is not a contractor involved in the project.
CURB SIDE COLLECTION
If moving into a newly constructed home or one that has never had previous owners, call the Public Works Department (205-444-7543) to set up new service. They will give you the collection dates for your area and will submit your address to the garbage company for bin delivery.
If moving into a previously occupied home, bins should be at the home. You can view your days of collection using the search feature from our city map. If the bins have been removed, call the Public Works Department and they will have bins delivered.
Place bins at the curb no later than 7 AM on the day of collection at least five feet away from obstructions such as mailboxes, utility poles or parked cars and no more that two feet from the curb or road with the opening of the bin pointing towards the street.
All residents must use the garbage containers provided by the garbage company.
Containers must not contain debris other than household garbage or unacceptable or hazardous waste such as paint, chemicals, solvents, dead animals, rocks, dirt, construction debris, or medical or biological waste.
Trucks will not return to collect carts that are placed out late, blocked, too close to obstructions, or contain unauthorized debris or too heavy. (75 lb weight limit).
YARD & BULK WASTE
Place all trash items behind the curb for collection. Do not place any debris in the road, gutter, on top of storm drains, on sidewalks or next to utility lines/poles/boxes.
Construction debris or any debris resulting from a contractor's work or project will not be picked up. They are responsible for the removal of any debris generated.
Tree limbs cannot exceed 6 feet in length.
Boxes can be broken down and placed at the curb on Wednesdays for recycling.
SPECIAL ITEMS DISPOSAL
- Paint cans- Remove the lids from all of the cans. If there is paint inside, put sand, dirt or kitty litter in the cans with the paint for absorption. Place the cans curbside with the lids off for pick-up.
- Appliances with Freon (such as refrigerators and air conditioners) will not be picked up until the Freon has been drained and a certified sticker has been placed on the item. A technician at an appliance service department can provide the freon removal. The items can then be placed at the curb for pick up. Again, call Public Works at 205-444-7543 for these large item pick-ups. Information from the EPA provided in this link may be helpful.
The six (6) holidays in which your service could be delayed are:
When one of these six holidays falls on the weekend, there will be no change in your garbage and recycling services. If one should fall during the week, your service will be delayed by one day the remainder of that week. This would include recycling services as well.