Plumbing Permits

The City of Hoover has adopted the 2021 International Plumbing Code. Copies of this code are located in the Hoover Library Reference Section or may be purchased from the International Code Council. The International Code Council may be reached at 205-591-1853 or online.

A plumbing permit is required when an owner, owner’s authorized agent or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install , enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the 2021 International Plumbing Code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the City of Hoover Building Inspection Department, and obtain the required permit for work.

Permits are not required for:

1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.

2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

Download the application

Prerequisites for Plumbing Permit

Prerequisites for obtaining a Plumbing Permit are as follows:

  • A building permit, if applicable
  • A contractor must have a current Master Plumbing Card from the Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Board.
  • A description of work to be performed
  • Address or location that the work will be performed
  • The contractor performing the work must have an active City of Hoover business license.

Permit fees are calculated based on the work to be performed. A fee schedule is provided on the application form. The minimum permit fee is $50.00** Blank permit applications can be provided to applicants by calling 205-444-7522. Completed permit applications must, however, be submitted for processing by mail or in person and must be accompanied by fee payment.

A property owner is allowed to obtain a plumbing permit for work performed on property they own.  All work must be done by the property owner that obtained mechanical or plumbing permit.

Inspections, by this department, are required on all work performed.

**A fee of $1.00 per $1,000 of authorized construction cost is collected, as required by the State of Alabama, to be used to fund the Construction Industry Craft Training (CICT) Program for commercial plumbing permits.

Sanitary Sewer Installations

If sanitary sewer installations or repairs are being performed, please click here to determine which jurisdiction the system is served by. Each jurisdiction has distinct requirements regarding the specifications, permits, and inspections. The Inspection Services staff can provide assistance in determining the appropriate jurisdiction and requirements pertaining to sanitary sewer installations and repairs.

The appropriate county health department (Jefferson County or Shelby County) governs septic tank repairs and installations - not the City of Hoover.