Government ServicesDepartmental ServicesBusiness ServicesResidential ServicesVisitorsHelp Center
Click to Home

Go To Search
Parkwood Cemetery
The Parkwood Cemetery consisting of one acre located in 29 township, 19 range three west is situated in Jefferson County, Alabama. As of September 11, 2003 it was listed on the Alabama Historical Cemetery Register.

History of the Cemetery
This cemetery was originally called Jacob Cemetery for George Jacobs who on August 6, 1873, deeded a portion of his land to Coward, Harkness, Patton and Crotwell as trustees for a place of worship for the membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was also used as a school house for many years.

On the 20th day of April 1896, Preston D. Brooks and his wife, Martha Jane Brooks deeded this property to George Cowart, A.A. Ross, Elis Ross and their successors with the right to sell and convey the property. On July 5, 1939 a Record of Cemeteries was made by Research Worker Andy Perolio of the Jefferson County Board of Health, Bureau of Records and Vital Statistics, showing the name of owner to be a Baptist Association, the oldest cemetery marker being January 1, 1876, last marker as of March 26, 1935. The local church was permanently closed and the burial register and instructions left with J.W. Logle, Route 2, Box 352, Bessemer, Alabama on August 11, 1941.

Coward Family
The Coward family were early settlers who lived in this area, worked at mills and taught school on the site. Rev. C.W. Mills preached in the early church on this property. Some of the people who were buried in the cemetery were workers in the laying of the South and North Railroad. There is a good reference to the Parkwood area in History of Hoover, Alabama and It's People.

One of the men of the large Coward family ran the sandstone quarry during the Civil War, from which the stone was cut for the construction of the Ross culvert over Ross Creek. Later the ownership of the quarry passed to Peter Curren and then to George Urie. The Curren family are of Indian descent on their maternal side and many family members are buried here. Robert Curren acquired ownership of this cemetery in 1978 and assumes responsibility to maintain it. There are many plants, shrubs, and trees native to this area still remaining on the grounds.

More Information
This information was provided by Vadie Honea, Director of Research and co-founder of the Hoover Historical Society. Questions should be directed to Mrs. Honea at 205-822-9392.