Alcohol Sales (ABC) Application
All businesses who wish to sell alcohol for on-site or off-site consumption must obtain an ABC License and the appropriate City of Hoover Business Licenses. Please note this can be a lengthy approval process. It can take 3-4 weeks for the City of Hoover to process a standard request, assuming all required documentation has been submitted and no conditional use approval is required.
Alcohol License Checklist
- Check the zoning designation and requirements for the property by contacting the Hoover City Planner at email@example.com 205-444-7648.
- Conditional Use approval may be required. .
- Download the City of Hoover Criminal History Information Release form. You may also contact the City Clerk’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-444-7500 to obtain a copy. This form will need to be signed and notarized by the applicant and all executives before returning to the City of Hoover with your completed ABC application. (See step #4.)
- Contact the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division at 205-942-7955 or 205-699-6448 to set up an appointment. You will need to bring specific documentation with you to the appointment, and they will conduct a separate criminal background check.
- Following the appointment with the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division, the applicant will provide the Office of the City Clerk with a copy of the application with confirmation from the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division and the original City of Hoover Criminal History Release Form(s). (All executives will need to fill out a City of Hoover Criminal History Release Form.)
- The City Clerk’s Office will:
- Process the request through the Police Department to investigate.
- Present the request to the City Council upon completion of the above steps.
- Provide the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division the decision of the Council.
- Contact the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division to complete the process and, if approved, obtain the alcohol license.
- Contact the City of Hoover Revenue Department at email@example.com or call 205-444-7516 to obtain the applicable City of Hoover business licenses.