Alcohol Sales (ABC) Application

All businesses who wish to sell alcohol for on-site or off-site consumption must obtain an ABC License and the appropriate City of Hoover Business Licenses. Please note this can be a lengthy approval process. It can take 3-4 weeks for the City of Hoover to process a standard request, assuming all required documentation has been submitted and no conditional use approval is required.

Alcohol License Checklist

  1. Check the zoning designation and requirements for the property by contacting the Hoover City Planner at zoning@hooveralabama.govor 205-444-7648. 
  2. Download the City of Hoover Criminal History Information Release form. You may also contact the City Clerk’s Office at or 205-444-7500 to obtain a copy. This form will need to be signed and notarized by the applicant and all executives before returning to the City of Hoover with your completed ABC application. (See step #4.) 
  3. Contact the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division at 205-942-7955 to set up an appointment. You will need to bring specific documentation with you to the appointment, and they will conduct a separate criminal background check.
  4. Following the appointment with the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division, the applicant will provide the Office of the City Clerk with a copy of the application with confirmation from the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division and the original City of Hoover Criminal History Release Form(s).  (All executives will need to fill out a City of Hoover Criminal History Release Form.)
  5. The City Clerk’s Office will:
    1. Process the request through the Police Department to investigate.
    2. Present the request to the City Council upon completion of the above steps.
    3. Provide the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division the decision of the Council.
  6. Contact the ABC Licensing & Compliance Division to complete the process and, if approved, obtain the alcohol license.
  7. Contact the City of Hoover Revenue Department at or call 205-444-7516 to obtain the applicable City of Hoover business licenses.